Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I got to work yesterday and i just had this feeling it was going to be one of those days.Firstly we have a young schoolgirl who comes to help after school.I tell her to peel some potatoes to go with the roast beef.She says we have none.So,we have to have macaroni cheese with the beef which did not sit well with the patients who wanted potatoes and gravy.Then one of the patients shouted me.She has a small fridge n her room and water was pouring out of it.I cleaned up the water and fixed it.She'd accidently raised the temperature higher on it.I walked out of her room and other patient called me.Can you fix my VCR it won't work.So,i fix that.
Then i think okay i can go and eat.I get my meal sit down and another patient knocks on the office door.She's upset and say's she wants to talk to me in private.Seem's she'd had a fight on the phone with her daughter.So i made her a cup of tea and chatted with her until she was feeling better.By this time my meal was cold and didnt look very appetizing so i threw it out.
At 7pm i was was just coming out of the bathroom after bathing a patient when i heard crying in one of the bedrooms.I went in and asked what was wrong.She said she'd lost her purse.Then she said she had $1000 in it from when she went out shopping with her daughter earlier.I searched her bedroom,the bathrooms ,the living room areas but no purse.I phoned her daughters cell phone to ask if she'd left her purse in the car.Im trying to keep the patient calm when really im thinking i hope they find it in the car otherwise im going to have to phone and report it as stolen.
Her daughter searches her car and says it's not there and she's sure she brought it home with her.The only places i haven't looked are the other patients bedrooms.So,i go and search those.I find it in one of their closets.The lady who had it has Alzeimers so she probably picked it up thinking it was hers.
I gave it back to the lady who lost it and apologised and phoned her daughter to tell her i'd found it.Then i asked for her permission to put the money in a sealed envelope in the drugs cupboard which is kept locked and the staff carry the only key on them.So thankfully it all had a happy ending but i was completely exhausted after.

Comments:
Sharp thinking on the cash envelope and the alzheimer's search! They are lucky to have you around as many places would have just shrugged and walked away.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?